The Legal Clinic was established by the faculty of law of Puntland State University (PSU) in October 2013 with UNDP support. The Office of the Clinic is situated in the Center of Garowe in the front of the Local Government Office and is run with the help of 1 director, 1 lawyer, 1 project officer and 4 paralegals. The legal clinic operates for the benefit of law students at the Faculty of Law, PSU who have been provided with an opportunity to learn through actual practice in which they exercise lawyering skills learnt in class with actual clients with real life legal problems. The Clinic also provides free legal services to vulnerable groups in relation to criminal and civil matters with a particular emphasis on women, children, IDPS, refugees, minorities and individuals on remand or pre-trial detention.
Legal knowledge is enhanced in Puntland to ensure the protection of human rights, peace and justice for all.
- To be a leading provider of quality and professional legal service to ensure effective access to justice for the poor and vulnerable people, and;
- To be a leading provider of skilled qualified professional lawyers.
OUR CORE VALUES
- Non discrimination
- Professional excellence
- Ethics Integrity
- To provide free legal services for the poor people and the vulnerable groups;
- To provide quality clinical legal education for law students; and,
- To enhance legal awareness among the public and empower communities to claim their rights.
- Clinical Legal Education
- Legal Representation
- Legal Advice and Counselling
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
- Legal Awareness
WHO QUALIFIES FOR THE SERVICES?
The services are dedicated to Community members seeking legal assistance such as :
- Persons in detention centers including police cells and prison;
- victims of sexual and gender based violence (SGBV);
- Refugees; and,
- Women, youth and children.
We offer a range of services which include:
- Legal representation in court or before the Mobile Courts;
- Facilitating Legal Awareness sessions or seminars; and,
- Assisting the public to approach and be served by the government offices where complex administrative procedures make government services inaccessible to the poor.
If you wish to contact us or seek legal assistance from PSU Legal Clinic you can:
- Visit our office in Garowe and you will be received and assisted by our lawyers or paralegals.
- Write a letter or email or call our offices using the contacts below:
Sulaiman Mohamed Mahamud
Tel: +252 (90) 7797259 –Director
Tel: +252 (90) 7794834 –Administrator